Thursday, July 8, 2010

New Exmoor Seats!



Trakkers Extreme with Seat Heater installed plus harness


Seat bottom comparison between Trakkers Extreme and Classic High Back




I've spent too much time over the past couple of years trying to figure out how to get better (and hopefully somewhat safer) seats in the 109. I had always wanted Exmoor seats but due to excessive dithering on my part, I missed the last time the dollar was strong against the pound sterling.

I tried fitting Volvo seats ($20 for the pair off Craigslist--with seat heaters!) but they were too tall and made it a real hassle to climb around the steering wheel. Then I started looking at Porsche 914 seats. I think these would be the best and easiest seat to fit in a Series truck. They are one peice with a high seat back and they have a thin seat bottom--around 4 inches. Plus, they can be found in black vinyl and they are from the 1970s so period-appropriate as well. Just when I had located about 8 seats across the country, ranging in price from $35 to $150 per pair, the dollar began gaining strength against the pound and hit the magic exchange rate I had set in my mind.

So, without further dithering, I placed the order from Craddocks. Two Trakkers Extreme for the front seats, both with seat heaters and three Classic High Backs for the middle row, two with seat heaters. Then I learned that Craddocks does not charge until the seats are ready to ship--which is nice, but meant that the dollar had weakened slightly over the one month it took for Exmoor to build the seats. So, in the end, I paid about $70 more.

I received 2 of the 4 total boxes within 2 days! The other 2 boxes arrived 2 days after that! Very fast delivery!

No comments:

Post a Comment