Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Frame Hunt Begins!



It should be no surprise that the chassis that came with our 109 needed some work.


1. Frame Horns: the previous owner had already replaced the front frame horns and did a very good job of it.

2. Spring Hangers: the bottom of both rear spring hangers were missing. Paul the Welder patched these.

3. Outriggers: the rear left outrigger and front right outrigger are both mostly rust. These still need to be replaced.

4. Frame Rails: the bottom of both frame rails beginning just forward of the rear axle and continuing to just over the rear axle were mostly rust. Paul the Welder removed all the rusted metal and welded in new strips.


The rear crossmember is still in very good condition.


So, the hunt for a new frame began. We knew that we could order new frames from Rovers North, Marsland or Richards for one arm and half a leg so I began hunting craigslist, the forums and Ebay for a frame that could be had for less.


I quickly learned how frustrating it is to see posts on Ebay U.K. and various U.K. forums that feature Series III 109 5 door frames for just a few hundred dollars or even less. I suppose Jeep parts are cheap over here, but not over there. Vice versa for Land Rovers.

Five false starts.

First, I found a rolling 109 5 door frame in Ontario, Canada that appeared to be in pretty good condition. Asking price $1000. Cost of shipping around $1200, not including customs/duties.

Second, I found a frame on Ebay that was part of a huge Land Rover lot for sale in Arizona. I am sure many of you saw this auction as it was advertised on several forums. The seller was willing to part with the frame for $900. Shipping quotes were around the same price but the frame slipped away into another buyers' hands.

The third frame was in the Sacramento area. It was also a rolling chassis with an asking price of $1200. The seller was willing to deliver it to Portland. I guess he found another buyer because my emails to him went unanswered.

Frame number four was (and, as far as I know, still is) for sale on Whidbey Island, north of Seattle. It is part of an Australian 109 IIa (pictured above). Asking price $2000 delivered to me. Another Series enthusiast was interested in the body so we were going to split the cost. My family and I took a day trip to the Island to inspect the truck in person. It was about equal to the frame we currently have and would have needed about $900 worth of replacement parts plus the labor to install them. The body was pretty rough as well so the two of us decided to pass.

The fifth frame taught me, once again, the lesson of "don't assume anything!" The same Series enthusiast from the fourth frame found this one as part of a double 109 package deal. I agreed to pay $1000 of the total price for the chassis. As it turned out, the chassis needed a little bit of work and the seller did the welding for $100. Then I found out it was a four cylinder LHD chassis and would require around $900 of parts/labor to make it to six cylinder RHD. This is also when I found out about the risk of a chassis bursting during the galvanization process. Fortunately, the Portland All British Field Meet was coming up and my Series enthusiast friend managed to find a buyer for the chassis for $1000. I was out $100 but still very happy with the outcome.

A $3000 new galvanized frame from Rovers North was starting to look more appealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment